Author: Dr. Reem Kidess | Posted on with 0 comments
Let’s admit it, many of us put off going to the dentist. We have our reasons for being dental procrastinators. For some it could be busy work and personal lives. For some, it’s a downright terrifying fear of pain, often because of a bad experience as a child. For others it’s a feeling of dread about going to that sterile, uninviting tooth-pulling and mouth-prodding dental assembly line.
No matter how you feel about going to the dentist, it’s a bad idea to avoid the dentist altogether. You may just need a different dentist! Dental procrastination can lead to small problems turning into big problems.
- Gum disease often leads to tooth loss.
- Cavities, misaligned teeth, or even just discoloration grow worse.
- Increased incidence of chipped, cracked, broken or missing teeth.
Regular dental care will give you back a smile to be confident and prevents further damage caused by changes in how teeth wear down.
Finding a New Dentist
If you find that you continually have reasons to not go to the dentist. Then you are likely one of the many dental procrastinators. Do something about it and find a new dentist. Here are some things to look for.
- Painless dentistry: Look for a dentist that specializes in painless dentistry. One that specializes in treating dental phobia (fear of the dentist).
- Relaxation and Distraction: Look for a dentist that provides a warm, welcoming office. This includes comfortable massaging chairs, overhead televisions with entertainment, noise-cancelling headphones with music.
- Sedation: A little distraction and comfort may not be enough. Sedation options include oral sedation, nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and IV sedation. Look for a dentist that is board-certified to administer anesthesia.
Don’t assume that dental work is always painful; it doesn’t have to be. If you are a dental procrastinator and are looking for a new dentist, come to Dr. Reem Kidess who specializes in providing quality, painless dental care for dental procrastinators.
To learn more about painless cosmetic dentistry, the risks of avoiding the dentist, and Scottsdale dentist sedation options.