Dental cosmetics and other dental procedures can be a little scary for some as there’s a good chance that surgeries can be involved. For achieving a perfect white smile, for example, veneers have been one of the best recommendations in dental cosmetics.
The catch, though, is something not everyone can agree to. Since getting normal veneers would require your teeth to get prepped, it will need you to undergo some invasive procedures. But what if there’s a better way? Introducing the Prepless Veneers.
What are Prepless Veneers?
Let’s start from knowing what a veneer is. The term ‘veneer’ came from an architectural term which means something that is used to cover something. When it comes to cosmetic dentistry, getting veneers would mean to cover teeth with an appliance that will give it an instant make-over.
Veneers can be a good recommendation for these following teeth conditions:
- Discoloration and staining
- Overcrowded or has spaces in between
- Are either cracked, chipped or broken
- Has suffered trauma or excessive wear
Prepless Veneers vs Standard Porcelain Veneers
Before, patients would have to accept the fate of their normal teeth when getting veneers. Now, patients can now choose between two types of veneers procedures, namely Porcelain Veneers or Prepless Veneers.
Though both are made from porcelain, they differ a lot on their procedure.
Porcelain Veneers procedure
This is the standard procedure for patients who want an instant perfect white smile. For Porcelain Veneers procedure, your teeth will be prepared to make room for the veneers. This means that your natural teeth will be grinded and reshaped to fit into the porcelain veneers and create a strong seal. Because it is kind of invasive, and would require your natural teeth to be fully reshaped, patients would draw back from the idea.
Prepless Veneers procedure
This procedure will still require your teeth to be prepared, but only at minimal. This will include cleaning, and light sanding to eliminate the surface stains, shine and minor imperfections. This is to ensure that it won’t interfere with the color and thickness of the porcelain veneers that will cover it. It’s also thinner than standard porcelain veneers and more natural-looking.
Porcelain and prepless veneers can last you up to ten years of use. But like any other dental appliance, how long veneers can last will be up to a patient’s care. Some veneers can even reach two decades if given the best care.
As for the preparation procedure, customizing both standard veneers and prepless veneers will need at least eight weeks to be created in an off-site lab. There are also dentists who have in-house labs which can reduce preparation time.
Some truths about Prepless Veneers
Prepless veneers may be the answer to your instant perfect white smile, but it may not always be the case for everyone.
Here are also some points you can consider if you’re looking into getting the procedure:
- Most patients may not be good candidates for prepless veneers. You can ask your dentist about it for proper assessment.
- Prepless veneers and strong and durable, just like natural teeth. You don’t have to worry about not eating your favorite food because they can endure anything.
- Through time, veneers can chip and break too. If this happens, visit your dentist for a replacement.
- Unlike your natural teeth, they are stain-free, so your pearly whites will stay that way for long.
- Brushing and flossing it like your normal teeth is recommended.
- If you’re worried about it looking so perfect that it might look fake, there’s a less chance for that. Your dentist will see to it that your veneers can just look like an enhanced version of your natural teeth.
- It may provide a slight discomfort during the procedure as cleaning and sanding will be required.
Unlike braces and teeth whitening which would need your patience, veneers are an instant alternative. The results will be instantly seen after the procedure is done.
To give you an idea, here are some before-and-after photos from our clients:
Veneers will only be as good as the skillful hands that did it. If there are still hesitations on your part, you have to look for a dentist that can make you feel at ease.
At PV Smiles, Dr. Kidess will be there to help you every step of the way. With her extensive background in dental cosmetics for over 23 years, you’ll be sure you’re in good hands. Contact our friendly staff today to schedule an appointment!