Author: Dr. Reem Kidess | Posted on with 0 comments
Some dental procedures tend to last too long with too many visits to finish. Fortunately, there are new dental technologies that can help you save the hassle with quicker procedures compared to others. One of these innovations is the CEREC™ crowns.
CEREC™ crowns can be made and placed in a single appointment, which means you don’t have to spend a long time at the dentist’s office having a mold taken off your teeth or waiting for a crown to be fabricated in a lab.
What is a CEREC™ Crown?
A CEREC™ crown is a dental restoration made from ceramic materials. Typically, it’s used to replace a tooth’s original crown or cover a dental implant. The process of making a CEREC™ crown begins with an impression of the mouth. This impression will be used to create a tooth model on which the CEREC™ crown will be placed. Next, a special milling machine will use this model to shape the ceramic material into a replica of your tooth. The crown is attached to your tooth with dental cement, and it will have an excellent appearance.
How can you save time with a CEREC™ Crown?
In a traditional tooth crowning, you need at least two trips to the dental clinic. The first is to take an impression of your tooth, grind down and prepare it for the cap. You will be given a temporary crown until the real one is finished. The second visit is to come back for the permanent crown.
With the CEREC™ crown, you do not need to go through these procedures. Instead, the crown can be created in-clinic using computer-aided design (CAD) software and a milling machine. The CAD software makes a 3D model of your tooth, and the milling machine uses this model to create the crown.
This process is much quicker than making a traditional crown, and it means that you don’t have to wait for a second visit. The CEREC™ Crown is ready to wear immediately, it also eliminates the need for a temporary crown
Tips to make your CEREC™ crown last longer
A CEREC™ crown should last around 5-10 years, depending on how well you take care of it. It is vital to keep your teeth and gums healthy by brushing and flossing regularly. Not to mention visiting your dentist for regular checkups.
You can take several steps to make your dental crown last longer. The primary way is to avoid doing anything that might damage the tooth from which the crown was molded. Remember that the crown material is only as strong as the tooth it covers.
Below are ten ways you can extend the life of your dental crown:
- Brushing twice a day is the most critical way to maintain the life of your dental crown. However, keep in mind that brushing with tough bristles can chip away at the enamel of your tooth, making it weaker. Instead, use toothbrushes with soft or ultra-soft bristles that are labeled “for sensitive teeth.”
- If you have a CEREC™ crown, be sure to avoid eating hard, chewy, or sticky foods that could damage the crown over time.
- Avoid eating foods with high sugar or acid content as these can damage your tooth enamel over time and increase the risk of needing a new dental crown. Rinse your mouth with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water after consuming acidic foods and beverages.
- Smoking cigarettes can also damage your CEREC™ crown and damage your teeth.
- Use a mouthguard when you participate in close-contact sports or activities.
- Avoid biting on hard objects that may crack or chip the tooth crown.
- Regularly floss below and around your dental crown to prevent tartar buildup and bacteria between it and other teeth that could lead to cavities and gum disease.
- Use fluoride toothpaste for sensitive teeth and those without whitening agents that can affect the color of your crown.
- Schedule regular dental checkups and cleanings to remove plaque and tartar buildup that can cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- If you are experiencing any pain, sensitivity, or discomfort around your dental crown, visit your dentist as soon as possible for an evaluation. Crowns that don’t fit properly or are damaged need to be replaced.
CEREC™ crown procedures from the professionals
If you are in need of tooth damage repair or want a smile makeover with something like porcelain veneers, CEREC™ is the way to go. CEREC™ crown procedures are relatively painless, and more convenient compared to other restoration techniques.
Get a CEREC™ crown from the professionals! For years, PV Smiles has been using this advanced procedure and more to provide convenience and comfort to patients.